Wednesday 13 May 2009

Update - Wednesday 13th May.

Well, been properly home for over a week now.
I'm feeling quite good on the whole, and have had no problems since getting out.

Gripes:
- Still got a really runny arse.
- Still got no sense of taste or smell, so food isn't great.
- I get tired without doing very much.

On the plus side, I was into hospital yesterday for a checkup and things are going well. Neutrophils are now 1.5, Total white cell count is 4.4, platelets are 166 and Haemoglobin 114. All heading in the right direction and nice to see neutrophils well above 1.0.

I also got my Hickman line out, thanks to Jeff, the very skillful Macmillan nurse at ARI Haematology. Good to get rid of that - means I can shower and sleep more comfortably in the buff.

Trying to adjust to this new stage in my life is proving a bit tricky. I'm not sure what I could/should be doing and what I shouldn't. I guess just common sense - not do too much and listen to my body.

4 comments:

  1. you usually shower with your clothes on then, suppose, kill two birds with one stone, you can then hang yourself on the line to dry, mind and put plenty pegs in so you don't blow away!! I kept the cork from my wine bottle will send it round later. Everything in moderation so they say, you need to keep some energy for your body to heal.
    karen & brian xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe, good tae hear that aw's braw! Yer cell counts are nearly as good as mine - they take a tumble when you start on the co-trimoxazole instead of the nebuliser though...

    I'm at 3 months post SCT tomorrow and I can tell you that things are very much back to normal, including wine and blue cheese consumption! I've got a cold at the moment but apart from a small bout of number 7's on the arse scale (probably folk festival induced) I've not really had any other problems, so hopefully you'll be much the same :)

    Keep up the healthiness, and it really is good when the line comes out isn't it?

    Cheers,

    Rory

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't stop blogging until wehave heard how Corri's marathon efforts went - did she duck under the 4 hour barrier we ask ourselves? We are on the edge of our seats...

    Suze, Mark and the geckos

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes Joe, we need an update! How did Corri get on in the marathon?? Hope it was a good day!

    Andrea, Mike, Finlay and Katie all want to know ...

    ReplyDelete