Saturday 2 May 2009

Day +15 : Dare to dream

Just had morning round visit by my consultant.

"I think you can go home.", sez he. Today even.
This beautifully sunny Saturday afternoon, I could be sipping tea by the garden pond, watching the frogs and looking out for swallows. Could be back in my own bed, tonight and making fresh pancakes for breakfast by tomorrow morning.
For the first time in 15 days, I can kiss my wife rather than touch hands through a neoprene inspection glove. I get to ruffle my dogs' heads and walk them through the woods behind the house, pretending to hide from them.

I'm very conscious a few things need to happen, and do so like clockwork, or my escape may be scuppered. They need to sort out the meds I'll take home with me, and the hospital pharmacy closes at 13:00. They need to hook me to a nebuliser for 30 minutes, though that's within the control of nurses here. If that all gets done, I'm offsky!

We've not had today's bloods yet, but my consultant is a very laid back guy and is satisfied enough that "they're going up" and are probably Neutrophil+0.5 or thereabouts today. Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Excited, excited, excited......

1 comment:

  1. hi joe

    thats really great - homeward bound! And what a glorious day, sun shining. Goodbye ARI, hello INSCH.

    You might pass two fit birds on bikes - julie and marjon are out trying to chase the deeside crew again. Sad, so sad.

    Anyway, hoping to do a home visit soon and check you out - in a semi-professional manner of course! Take care and see you soon, liz xx

    ReplyDelete