Sunday 3 May 2009

Great to be home.

You can probably imagine - nothing like your own bed; your own sofa.

Got home around 6:00 pm last night, to be greeted, as we turned into the driveway, by my neighbours' kids running towards us, unfurling a "Welcome Home" banner. Fantastic. I have the best neighbours in the world bar none. It was very touching.

Felt really good to be home. We walked the dogs a decent walk in the woods behind our place, drank tea, ate Alison's millionaire shortbread (the best in the world, bar none) then had sirloin steak for dinner. I like it rare, but current lack of any defences meant it had to be pretty well done. It was lovely all the same. I didn't bitch too much in my blog about the hospital food, but by the middle of last week, I turned from it completely and went for M&S ready meals instead. It was, frankly, boggin.

Whilst I was in hospital, we had joiners busily trying to finish off our extension (aka Joe's nightmare creation) and it was great to come back and see the progress they'd made.

Had a good kip last night, though was a wee bit pukey first thing this morning. It soon settled and I kept breakfast down. Then had a bath and almost fainted getting dried. A wee reminder that whilst I might think I feel ok, I'm still walking along a bit of a knife edge at the moment and the old body aint as robust and balanced as I might like to think. Spending today taking it very easy and currently lying on the bed enjoying the bright spring day and smashing view from our bedroom. Oh, and upon return home last night, we had swallows. Nae frogs though.

In a bit of a "Robert the Bruce", metaphoric cliche, a large part of this morning has been spent watching a wee spider make its way up and over the bedroom ceiling. He cruised up the angled corner between the wall and roof slope in no time, then set off tenuously across the flat, smooth ceiling. Took him about an hour to pick his way carefully across the 2ft traverse, with lots of delicate leg placement, a few stumbles and one or two falls, arrested by carefully placed 'safety line', on which he'd pendulum, before hauling himself back up and pressing on. In my fragile, introspective mental state, it was all very inspirational. Each step at a time. Wee bits, carefully executed.

I have - of course - since squished him. Filthy bug-ridden creatures.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Wayhay. Just logged in to find out that you're home already. Excellent. I'll gie ye a buzz to arrange a visit - grapes and lucozade anyone?!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete